Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cities in China

Tipping. Not a city in China, you know. It's my paycheck.

This is how it currently works in Georgia (and most of America):

15% = average service/usual minimum
20%=good service/my minimum

You should tip 20% as your minimum, especially if you're happy with what you received! 10% is no longer acceptable. Whether or not Oprah really did say that.

Servers should always tip 20% bare minimum because Tip Karma will definitely interfere and lower our tips/paycheck. No lie. It's real. When I went to Prague for a month and tipped well by their customs, I got 10-15% tips upon my arrival.

I can't tell you how many times I've received 10%/less than 10%/nothing and asked the table if there was a problem with the service only to hear, "Nope, it was great!" with a smile. Sometimes it leads into more.

And, you should also consider the time which you take up the section before adding your tip. Maybe your $2 is good on your $10 tab, but if you've been sitting there for five hours, you should be much more considerate.

As a Philadelphia Eagles' bar, I'm accustomed to tables sitting for hours and hours tipping only on the dollar amount. There are the lovely few who do consider the time it takes to refill the Mr. Pibb eight times during the first half. However, most fans either are unaware or maintain their ignorance.

The first time I ever, ever, was yelled at was during the first Eagles' game I worked of the season. Now, keep in mind that I'm usually loved by my tables and take particular exception to when I'm disliked in general. And then to be yelled at as if this customer were my father really hurt.

After reviewing the situation many times in my head, I can only believe that my only real shortcoming was the delay in bringing the check. And that I couldn't control the fact that the Eagles were losing pitifully to the Saints. I brought the beers quickly, the pizza was up before the game started, I managed to keep up with the standing patrons near the table, and I refilled the first Diet Coke many a time until the upgrade to adult beverages.

When this guy asked for his check, honestly I forgot. It was only the third quarter; I figured that there was plenty of time to bring the check. When he angrily asked for it, I brought it immediatelly, and consequently, immediately forgot to add the gratuity for the extra folk standing around the table. He gave me $3 on $28. I asked about it. This is the best I can recreate the situation. Parenthesis are my thoughts.

Me: Sir, was there a problem with your service?
Him: You tell me.
Me: (Well, this isn't going to plan.) Well, you're the only one here who has paid. I was just wondering if you were unhappy with anything, and, if so, how I could improve.
Him: Why are you asking me?
Me: (Oh, god.) Since you tipped me only about ten percent, I just assumed that you were unhappy with your service, and I wanted to know what I could do to improve.
Him: You need to brush up on your service skills.
Me: (Obviously.) How specifically can I do that?
Him: Brush up on your serving.
Me: Yes, sir. What specifically could I do to improve my service skills?
Him: You're all about the money and not the honey.
Me: Sir, how can I be more about the honey?

And that's when he told me I could put my three bucks back on the table. I walked away and ignored him for the rest of the fourth quarter. His friends all apologized for his typical behavior and didn't notice the auto-gratuity I retroactively added. Although they were the only reason I made decent money that shift, I never actually learned my serving shortcomings.

I was pretty happy when I walked by and saw him spill his Harp all over his beer belly.

Karma, tip or not, exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment